About Me

I'm a married knitter, crocheter, and newbie spinner living in the Maryland suburbs with my photographer- computer geek hubby, 3 cats, and 3 dogs. And yarn. A LOT of yarn. Just ask my hubby.

Feedburner

Yup, I’m a Twit!

Knitting Blogs & Sites



Water

Clean water.  Such a simple thing, right?  And yet for so many people in the world, it’s something nearly unattainable.  Charity: Water aims to do something about that, and Knit Witch wants knitters to help:

Here are some interesting facts for you:

– 1.1 billion people in the world have no access to clean water (that’s 1 in 6 people).
– If we divided all the freshwater among all the people we could allot about 2.5 gallons/person/day. The average person in the US currently uses 300-400 gallons/day.
– Our planet is 70% water – of that 70%, 97.5% of that is saltwater leaving us to divide the remaining 2.5% of freshwater.
– Many communities must have wells in order to access underground aquifers for clean water
– Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of all sickness and disease, and kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war.
– Many people in the developing world, usually women and children, walk more than three hours every day to fetch water that is likely to make them sick. Those hours are crucial, preventing many from working or attending school. Additionally, collecting water puts them at greater risk of sexual harassment and assault.
– Children are especially vulnerable to the consequences of unsafe water. Of the 42,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and a lack of basic sanitation, 90% are children under 5 years old.

Boggles the mind, doesn’t it?  And makes me feel a bit ill, frankly, especially as I hear Kris taking his morning shower and am wondering how many gallons are going down the drain right now.

Knit Witch’s Goal = $5,000 – don’t you think we can achieve this in order to provide clean drinking water for 500 underprivileged people? I do. I started it off with $50. I don’t care if you donate $5 or $500 – whatever you can afford helps. If you skip your morning Starbucks coffee tomorrow you can send that $5 as a donation instead. Send me an email to theknitwitch@gmail.com and let me know how much you donated so that I can keep track of our total – or – you can leave a comment on the blog. I’m keeping track of the progress over on the right hand side of the blog.

Go.  Read her whole post.  Help if you can, even just a few bucks.  She’s going to draw names from donors for prizes, if you need a little incentive.  🙂

And thanks to Cristi for posting about it this morning and letting me know about it.

4 comments to Water

  • here is an other (scary) thought–2 out of people in the world drink water that is more bacteria laden than would be found in average american toilet bowl.

    So many of us are skeeved out washing the toilet (and use brushes, and wear rubber gloves…)
    and yet many of the world don’t have water as clean as the water we have sitting in the bowl. (that the dog laps up and bothers us!)

    for many of the world, drinking from the toilet bowl would be an improvement in water quality!

  • edit that should: be 2 out of 5 people in the world

  • Thanks for spreading the word, Pam!

  • It’s a huge deal. I can’t even begin to imagine what that’s like.